There are many ways to conduct a Scouting for Food campaign depending on the size of your unit, ability
of unit members to participate, location where your unit meets and contacts your unit may have in the
community. The following ideas are offered for your success:
- Participate in the month of March when food collection is most needed by local food banks. If that
month doesn’t work for your unit, collections are welcome at any time of the year.
- Coordinate with other units in your district to collect food in a specific geographic area on one
Saturday in March with collection on the following Saturday. Coordination will keep you from
- Order your door hangers now from your District Executive or district
Scouting for Food rep. A limited supply will be available at
the Council Service Center. Door hangers will be available at the February and March Roundtables.
- In lieu of door hangers, print copies of the SFF Promotional Flier
(PDF or Word)
and attach to paper bags to leave on doorsteps. Be sure to include contact information about your unit
and date you will collect.
- Contact your local schools, churches, and businesses to partner with you for a specific period of
time. Provide them with San Diego Food Bank barrels adorned with a hand made poster publicizing your
collection period. Many units are finding this to be a very efficient and successful way to collect food
donations and build good will in the community. Click here for a great
How-To Unit Plan from Pack 975. See how one business partner,
is actively involved in Scouting for Food promotion.
- Approach your local grocery store manager for permission to set up a table outside the store. Pass out
SFF Promotional Fliers (PDF or
Word) to entering customers requesting them to purchase an
extra can or two or even a bagful of items to contribute as they leave.
- Watch the San Diego Food Bank video as a unit to learn how and where your
donations are used. Share the link with your friends and family members with an invitation to assist
- If physical collections are difficult for your unit, consider a Virtual campaign. Invite friends,
neighbors and family to go to the San Diego Food Bank
to make a quick cash donation. Each $1 donated equals 6 pounds of food.
- Associate unit collection efforts with local District events. Bring a can of food as the entry ticket
to an event. Have a contest for which unit can collect the most donations to bring to the event.
- Consider scheduling your unit to volunteer at the
San Diego Food Bank to get the full understanding of the work of this great organization. Volunteers
are needed throughout the year.
- Attend the Scouting for Food Kick-off Event on February 27th
at the San Diego Food Bank to get excited about the campaign. Local radio personalities and/or TV
reporters have been known to attend in the past! Register HERE (Registration coming
soon). AND/OR assist with the mass collection effort by the community by helping to receive, sort
and pack food in the San Diego Food Bank truck at the Culmination
Event on March 28th. Contact
to assist at this event.